Re: International Women's Day - Share Your Story!

Solved! Go to solution
rebmarti

• What does International Women’s Day mean for you?

International Women's Day is a great opportunity to celebrate how we (women) aspire to better all areas of life, at work, at home and in our communities! It is great to acknowledge how women have impacted industries, brought about positive change and created new products/processes!

• How do you plan to #balanaceforbetter?

As a woman in the Technology industry for over 13 years, a mom of three and a wife, I plan to balance for the better by ensuring that I use my time deliberately and that includes time for myself. Discipline-of-self has been a great way for me to ensure I am taking care of my health mental and physical. More importantly, is to also extend grace to myself, there are many demands in life and being able to adjust to them and allow for change is very important.

• What advice do you have for developers in technology to push for progress in the workplace?

In any industry there are challenges, but I think the best advice for anyone is to be a sponge, learn as many development languages as possible, be a resource, share that knowledge with others and express your passion!

madelinejdyer

Hi there - my name is Maddie Dyer and I work on the US Government Relations team at Visa. A lot of you are probably wondering what on Earth that means...feel free to reach out if you want to know. 🙂 For now, I would love to talk about a cause that is very near and dear to my heart - the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

My cousin Cory was six years old when he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) - the most common form of pediatric blood cancer. He received a spinal tap treatment with a drug called methotextrate that left him with a rare side effect: paralysis. He immediately had to stop his chemotherapy. The doctors never thought he'd live, let alone walk again.

But by the time Cory was eleven, he had not only regained mobility. He also achieved remission. Cory's doctors, nurses, and family, including me, were all absolutely stunned and inspired by his strength. Cory went on to enjoy a healthy, happy life until he was twenty-one, when he was hit by a woman who was driving distractedly in Virginia Beach, where he was living at the time. She had turned the wrong way onto a one-way street, and was charged a mere $150 ticket, which she complained in court was "unfair." My aunt and uncle, meanwhile, were over $20,000 in debt from the cancer treatments that had saved their son's life - which was ultimatelty cut far too short by a completely avoidable tragedy.

Since Cory's passing, I have met more and more people with a cancer connection and realized just how widespread this disease is, and the devastating impact it has. When I moved to San Francisco for my current role at Visa, I met a young woman and someone I now consider dear friend who works for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). Once I heard about their mission to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families, I knew I had to get involved. 

They did too, apparently! My friend recruited me to run for Woman of the Year, which essentially means I am trying to raise as much money as possible within a ten-week period for the organization. My goal is $100,000, which would fund two portfolios of cutting-edge LLS research, which I intend to devote to ALL, Cory's diagnosis. My team has decided to call ourselves Cory's Angels in his honor. Our campaign kicks off on March 20th and runs through June 1st.

LLS has opened my eyes to the devastating impact blood cancer - all forms of cancer, truly - can have on people's lives. We all know someone who has battled it, and hopefully won, but perhaps lost. It's important for all of us to remember that one of our co-workers may have been diagnosed, or one of their loved ones. As we celebrate International Women’s Month, I hope we commemorate women at our company who are fighting this disease, be it their own or someone else they care about.

This International Women’s Day, I want to honor those women. As we all seek to #balanceforbetter, I think it is important to remember that everyone has a story – one which may include a chapter of cancer, or perhaps multiple. We need to support each other. Not only can we be good colleagues, but champions. If we do that – if we stand each other up, during good times and bad – then I truly believe the workplace will be better for it.

Thank you for reading this, and please feel free to reach out to me at madyer@visa.com if you have any questions about LLS or my campaign. I so appreciate the support. Happy Women’s Month!

KritiD

What does International Women's Day mean to me?

I think we are asking the wrong question here. 

In this era of modernization and putting our women forward in every field, why don't we contemplate upon "Why is every day not a women's day?". Why do we need only one day of the year to appreciate women all around the globe when they tirelessly work 365 days a year? 

Gender balance makes for better teams. It’s been proven time and time again that diversity unlocks innovation and drives market growth.

Women contribute not only in technology, or finance or film industry, but in various day to day household activities as well, that go unrecognized. As Margaret Thatcher rightly said, "If you want something said, ask a man. But if you want something done, ask a woman." That's what being a women means to me - Not just being superior in voicing your opinions about womanhood, but doing justice to your words by appropriate actions. 

How do you plan to balance for better?

• As i already said, having a never say die attitude is absolutely essential. Only when us woman, stand up against gender discrimination and take charge, we can bring about equality and justice for both genders. 
  • Don't encourage women to fill a gender quota, but actually help them build up their skill set and get the position they deserve.
  • Any change, minute or humoungous, always starts small. So start stepping up and asking for more challenges, taking ownership of the work you do, and be open to suggestions for improvements. Afterall, a woman is like a teabag - you never know how stong she is, untill you put her in hot water.

What advice do you have for developers in technology to push for progress in the workplace?

• Skill up! Your work speaks for itself. Find yourself a right mentor and guidance.
  • Network! Talk to the right people who will appreciate you where credit is due.
  • Encourage! Be a role model to other women around you. 
  • Love what you do and be ready for change in this continuously advancing industry!
PoojaUdani

I am a Software Engineer in VISA for 3 years. When I joined, I was the only female team member.
I am proud to say now we have 4 female team members in our team within 3 years.
We are in the majority than males in my project. I am sure it's rare 🙂
I have been always received with respect and appreciation by everyone in my team as well as others in VISA.
We also have a lot of info sessions conducted which are a great platform to share the experiences.

According to me, International Women’s Day is a day to be cherished, feel proud and self-appreciation.
Women are those beautiful creatures who think about others first and then for themselves (a majority of them).
Their nature is to take care of everyone except for themselves.
Hence, this day reminds them to be themselves and continue to spread the selflessness and good work in the universe irrespective of occupation, position, status etc. Feel empowered!

Balance for better is decided by the priorities no matter you are in your life.
Only you can decide what is important for you and when is the right time.
Sometimes things go 180 degrees opposite than what you have planned so learn, redo and replan and go on.

My advice -

Perseverance, patience, dedication are 3 words to be put into practice in your professional as well as personal life. 
No workplace is ideal and you are going to face hurdles in every step of the career.
Hence do your best, stay calm and be an "inspiration" to others.

Keep up the urge of helping others and giving back to society and you will flourish.
Wherever you are, make the world a better place to live with your presence and contribution.

Shalini
Regular Visitor

Truly said, that belief in empowering women has helped a lot to change the future of technology. It brings diversity of thought, ideas and creativity into the workplace.

Well coming on my views on What does IWD mean for me is International Women's Day is a collective day of global celebration and a call for gender parity. Its all about unity, celebration, reflection, advocacy and action. But one thing is for sure, International Women's Day has been occurring for well over a century - and continue's to grow from strength to strength.

#balanaceforbetter : For me Balance is not a women's issue, it's a business issue. The race is on for the gender-balanced boardroom, a gender-balanced government, gender-balanced media coverage, a gender-balance of employees, more gender-balance in wealth, gender-balanced sports coverage.

We, both as Women and Men have to maintain this standard balance for the betterment of the next generations and becoming role models for them. 

Its been 5 years for me as  part of corporate culture and i have kept myself updated with a constant thought to not fall behind. Our personal problems should never interfere with our work and learning! How others would react and what would be their perception on it!!

We have been living into a society that most of the household responsiblities fall upon women and still she tries her level best for maintaing a work life balance. But still I believe that there is need for a reminder that there is so much that needs to be done for equality. Equality is the basic neccessity for economies and communities to thrive.

So i take a call for Equality #balanaceforbetter.

My advice for developers in technology to push for progress in the workplace would be No matter where you are in your professional development, or what technology-related field you're in, if we collaborate more often across teams or be it like organizations then amazing things can happen. As it offers a broad range of support, programs and resources to advance us in technology from the classroom to the boardroom.

So ladies in the house, Cheers for success 🙂

chkelly
Community Manager

I have been extremely lucky to have had strong male and female leaders throughout my career – leaders who looked beyond the ponytail and saw the writer, the editor, the designer, the techie. I feel lucky to be a woman in today’s day and age. As a former sports reporter, I had to prove myself – showcase I can talk quarterback stats and hitters batting average in the middle of 15 other reporters pushing to get quotes from the head coaches. It was all about getting the story and not about being a woman in a man’s world.

I forget who said this quote, but I remember my favorite journalism professor wrote this on one of my articles: “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” That quote has pushed me to be better, smarter, faster, and flex with whatever came my way. And that is true for every successful person I have met in my career.

sganesh
Regular Visitor

• What does International Women’s Day mean for you?

It is a reminder there is a ton of untapped potential around the world. All it needs is a circle of support to unleash that.

• How do you plan to balance for better?

Start from the grass roots. Teach children the behavior needed for tomorrow. Reiterate the need for diversity and inclusion every day in your life.

• What advice do you have for developers in technology to push for progress in the workplace?
  • Never hesitate to raise your hand for an opportunity. Support anyone who is eager to learn regardless of their gender or ethnicity. Be confident about your abilities always. Go for new challenges !!

meenu_visa
Community Manager

Having studied in a only for girls school and then going into co-educational college for higher studies, I have gone through various stage in my life in a country where girls were treated differently than boys. Today, I feel proud to work for a company that’s committed to helping women succeed and thrive in communities where we do business. We have come a long way but there’s still a lot that needs to be done across the globe.

To me, International Women’s Day is about recognizing and applauding the impressive work that my female colleagues and friends do every day. It means being powerful, yet understanding. It entails being independent, but also empathetic. Taking a moment to be thankful for all the amazing women who have made an impact in my life.

I believe when you work with people closely, you gain their respect by showing them what you could do and leading by an example. Then, gender is never a factor.

More power to all fellow-women! Happy IWD!!