Re: Programmers Guide to Working From Home Successfully

ricardo_visa
Community Scholar

Programmers Guide to Working From Home Successfully

Many companies have asked employees to work from home in light of the latest events. Some devs love it, while others have problems adjusting. We’ve started a guide to help you stay sane and productive through these demanding times. Join the conversation, what tips do you have to be successful at working from home? 

☑️ Create a productive vibe ✍🏽 📝

• Working from bed may seem awesome but...chances are you'll feel sleepy and can develop a back ache from the terrible posture. Avoid this! 
  • Consistency is important. Try and work in the same spot everyday - a dedicated work-space free of distractions
  • Clean your room - the room you choose to work in should be clean. If it happens to be the same room you sleep in, make your bed so you don't get tempted to take quick naps.

☑️ Plan and structure your workday  🗓

• Set regular hours - when will you start and end? Communicate this openly with your team and tell them your available hours. This way you can avoid burning out or over-working yourself to the point of exhaustion. 
  • Plan breaks - get up, stretch or walk around 

☑️ Cut out distractions 🔨

• Save any home chores for lunch or after you're done working, don't attempt to vacuum the living room on a five-minute break. 

☑️ Stay connected & learn to collaborate online 📲

• Don't be afraid to ask a coworker to hop on a quick call or video call to figure something out.
  • Turn on your camera during work calls. Seeing co-workers' faces help you understand each other and stay focused on work together. It also requires you to stay dressed and keep your apartment faily organized (at least the part of the room that can be seen on the video screen). 

Working from home is not hard to do, stick to simple rules and you might even build some healthy habit you've always wanted.

Not all jobs/workplaces are the same. These tips are pretty broad but I'd love to hear from you too! Any tips or tricks you've learned that could help during this transition to work remotely? 

Male_Player_1_LAYERED.png

Was your question answered? Don't forget to click on "Accept as Solution" to help other devs find the answer to the same question.
21 REPLIES 21
nikhil_visa
Visa Solution Architect

For me, ignoring the news during work hours has helped quite a lot. It’s not just about the time saved, but rather about saving the mental energy that is drained from the constant barrage of bad news

dianadonovan
Regular Visitor

I like your idea!

atlllzr

I try to keep my same routine as I have if I'm going to work. I get dressed. I eat breakfast at the same time. I normally ride my bike to work because I live close. I'm still doing this - I just ride to the office and immediately back home. So, if possible and safe, try to do the same....maybe a quick walk around the block as your "commute".

Ilkay_Can
VP, Visa Developer

Developer parents: do whatever you need to do to survive. Pizza for lunch for three days? Sure. Cookies during an important conference call? Sure. Watching the same darn youtube video on loop?  Youbetcha!!!!

Now is not the time to beat yourselves up as parents. Love your kids, set aside some time for them, and they will bloom. It’s all about survival.  We can make it.

Stay healthy.

taako
Regular Visitor

If kids are at home and you have a separate space, come up with a system to let them know when it’s okay to come in. We made a red light/green light that I hung on the door. At first, it was a novelty that Dad was home all the time and it helped.

Hark
Helper

Haha that's a good one
JayKaye
Regular Visitor

You know when you are most productive, so schedule your day around your most productive time. Listen to your favorite music, nobody is there to disagree with your choice. Ergonomics, don’t work from the sofa or you will regret it by day three.

DanielMass
Regular Visitor

Daily routines Just because you don’t have that hard separation between work and home doesn’t mean you should neglect your daily care rituals. 

Wakanda
Regular Visitor

The following apps can be of use for developers working at home

Gmail, Google Docs, Slack, Stack Overflow for Teams, Trello, and Hangouts, as well as other tools that cater to their specific roles. These allow us to work together without being in the same room.