cardAcceptor attributes clarrification

Ajwah
Helper

cardAcceptor attributes clarrification

Under request attributes of the API, with regards to the Address field for cardAcceptor attribute at: https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/visa_direct/reference#visa_direct__funds_transfer__v1__pushf...

The field zipCode states:

string | minimum 5, maximum 9, Length: 5 - 9

Zip/Postal code of the money transfer operator/Originator. Required if cardAcceptor:address:country is "US" or "CA".

Question 1: What exactly is a money transfer operator?

The confusion stems from the fact that the other address fields are stating: Merchant/Originator, so the usage of a third terminology here would suggest that Money Transfer Operator is inherently different from Merchant, so you would have all the fields filled in with respect to a Merchant address details and for zipCode you would fill in the details of Money Transfer Operator.

Question 2: Am I correct to understand that the reason as to why options Merchant/Originator are provided for the address fields, is to accommodate for the money transfer scenario? In such a case, the sender's name is to be taken and for address we would provide the Originator's address? 

Question 3: What exactly is the difference between Merchant and Originator? Am I correct to understand that the Merchant is any third party company integrating to our API whereas an Originator in this context would be our company itself making use of our API to directly provide for instance money transfer services to the public?

2 REPLIES 2
vkamboj
Community Moderator

Re: cardAcceptor attributes clarrification

Hi Ajwah,

Thank you for your patience. I am currently reviewing your request; I will get back to you soon.

Thank you, 

Vaibhav 

Was your question answered? Don't forget to click on "Accept as Solution" to help other devs find the answer to the same question.
vkamboj
Community Moderator

Re: cardAcceptor attributes clarrification

Hi Ajwah, 

Thank you for your patience. Please see my response below to your inquiry in red.  

Question 1: What exactly is a money transfer operator?

The confusion stems from the fact that the other address fields are stating: Merchant/Originator, so the usage of a third terminology here would suggest that Money Transfer Operator is inherently different from Merchant, so you would have all the fields filled in with respect to a Merchant address details and for zipCode you would fill in the details of Money Transfer Operator.

Answer: This should be “Merchant/Originator”.  Product team is currently working on to update the Documentation to address this.

Question 2: Am I correct to understand that the reason as to why options Merchant/Originator are provided for the address fields, is to accommodate for the money transfer scenario? In such a case, the sender's name is to be taken and for address we would provide the Originator's address? 

Answer: Merchant/Originator is required for card acceptor address field due to the fact that Visa needs to capture information about where and who sends the OCT transaction. For money transfer scenario, your understanding is correct in accordance with the specification.

Question 3: What exactly is the difference between Merchant and Originator? Am I correct to understand that the Merchant is any third party company integrating to our API whereas an Originator in this context would be our company itself making use of our API to directly provide for instance money transfer services to the public?

Answer: Originators could be a Visa acquirer (e.g. a financial institution) while merchant is like a third party agent sponsored by a Visa acquirer. In both cases, they make use of Visa Direct API to provide push payment services (e.g. money transfer service use case).

Was your question answered? Don't forget to click on "Accept as Solution" to help other devs find the answer to the same question.