I am trying to post the attached RequestJSON.txt to B2B Virtual Account Payment Method/Account Management service v1/Request Virtual Account and getting the Getting a 9501, Invalid input found, please correct the input data response as in attched ResponseJSON.txt.
The data I am sending must be incorrect but which bit. Any help would be highly appreicated
We will review the code and revert back to you.
Thanks for using and exploring VISA APIs.
While Sanobar is working on to understand the root cause, can you please confirm the following?
You are using the below URL for Request Virtual Account
If "yes" for above, then the payload format of your request is invalid.
It is the format for "Virtual Card Requisition" api to update virtual card requisitions.
Kindly use the sample format in the documentation page, retry and let us know the results.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I am definitely using https://sandbox.api.visa.com/vpa/v1/requisitionService" .
I managed to pick out a couple of mistakes in my request and have corrected it (attached RequestJSON.txt). As far as I can tell the format is correct to whats in https://developer.visa.com/products/vpa/reference#vpa__account_management__v1__request_virtual_accou..., however I am still getting the same erro response. If you do spot something incorrect in my request, could you please let me know.
Yes your format of the request now looks ok and I was getting a successful response with it.
Are you able to share the x-correlation-id value with us which you can obtain from the response header?
You may make another API call and share the new value.
With that we can check our logs and see what is the exact payload we have received.
your request payload has a “carriage return” in the payload which is causing the 9501 error. However, if you removes the character you will still get 400 error because the request structure is not correct. Attaching his request after correcting the structure. we have tested the same with this payload and it now works.
Please let us know if this works and feel free to reachout to support email at email@example.com for addional inquiries.
As we have identified that it was UTF8 encoding at the request before submitting it, that was causing the problem. we are happy to know that its resolved.
Please feel free to without to us through forum or support email.