Re: What Visa API can I use to generate virtual cards for a digital platform?

DanielCS

What Visa API can I use to generate virtual cards for a digital platform?

Hello,

I am developing a digital platform that allows users to make online payments. I would like to offer my users the ability to generate virtual cards for increased security and control over their spending.

I have read that Visa offers APIs that enable businesses to generate virtual cards. I'm interested in understanding how to leverage these APIs to integrate virtual card generation functionality into my platform.

Is it possible to directly generate virtual cards using the Visa API, or is a third-party partner required?

What type of approval is necessary to utilize the Visa API for virtual card generation?

Are there any specific technical requirements I need to meet to use the Visa API for virtual card generation?

I emphasize that I only need to create virtual cards for my clients, not physical cards.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
SyedSa
Community Moderator

Hi @DanielCSThank you for reaching out. One of our agents will get back to you soon. Until then, if any community members have information that may help, feel free to reply to this thread.

Hello there @DanielCS,

To integrate virtual card generation functionality into your digital platform using Visa APIs, you would need to consider the following.

The closest service Visa offers that relates to virtual credit card generation is Visa Token Services. This service allows for the creation of digital tokens that can be used in place of card numbers for transactions, enhancing security.
Visa itself does not issue cards, whether virtual or physical. To generate virtual cards, you would need to work with an issuing bank. Visa acts as a processor and partners with banks that issue the cards.
To use Visa Token Services, you must obtain restricted access by submitting a product and content access request to Visa Developer Support.
Specific technical requirements will depend on the particular Visa API you choose to implement. You can explore Visa’s API offerings and select the ones that align with your business case. For example, the B2B Virtual Account Payment Method system can be used for developing end-to-end payables solutions.
If you are considering using a third-party application, note that a third party cannot implement the B2B APIs without an issuer. Therefore, you would still need to collaborate with an issuing bank.
It’s important to review the documentation provided by Visa and contact their support for detailed guidance on the approval process and technical requirements. Additionally, ensure that your platform complies with all regulatory and security standards required for handling financial transactions.

Best Regards,