Re: Two-Way SSL with curl

Solved! Go to solution
ricardo_visa
Community Scholar

How do you test your two-way SSL Connectivity? Webinar - Dev Notes

Share with the community your tips to better understanding two-way ssl connectivity. Whether you joined our webinar or not, use this thread to help others stuck on the topic. 

Questions to help you get the wheels turning:

• What did you learn during our latest Visa Dev webinar on the topic?
  • What should devs struggling with the steps keep in mind?
  • What mistakes did you run into and how did you fix it?
  • What's your favorite tool you use to test two-way ssl?

Was your question answered? Don't forget to click on "Accept as Solution" to help other devs find the answer to the same question.
17 REPLIES 17
horozco
Regular Visitor

Re: How do you test your two-way SSL Connectivity? Webinar - Dev Notes

Thank you for this great webinar. I learned a lot of details about how two way SSL works.

As an Android Developer, I have used keytool to get my apps SSL fingerprints but on this webinar I learned how to use OpenSSL to generate CSR and private keys for SSL. 

I am planning on using the Visa Checkout Mobile SDK on an android native app, to process user payments, and understanding the process of two way SSL is very helpful for me to understand the process of making my app secure for users.

Thank  you again.

Hector J. Orozco

Re: Two-Way SSL with curl

Excellent webinar and also nice and important tips for SSL, easy to deploy, thanks

FrankDK
Regular Visitor

Great webinar by Shaina and the boys - made a complex subject easy 🙂 

Its great getting a run-through of the Visa 2-way SSL connection, there are so many ways to setup SSL but Visa makes it easy 😉

balajicr2
Regular Visitor

1) Generate certificate using OpenSSL

2) Create Sample project in Sandbox by using own generated certificate

3) Use Postman/SoapUI - load keys with credentials and proper payload (take example from sandbox)

4) Test the sample message from postman and refer the response message.

balajicr2
Regular Visitor

During today's webinar, I learned about two-way SSL configuration. My favorite tool to use for testing two-way SSL is postman with sample visa sandbox application. I preferred to use OpenSSL tool for certificate generation.

Hark
Helper

Thanks for the webinar, i've learnt how to use open SSL,

creating private key .CSR

thanks alot

saulo_muniz
Regular Visitor

Perfect ! very efficient ! I learned a lot about SSL.
arnaudantelop

Very interesting webinar. 

I have now more knowledge on what is SSL mutual authentication and able to test by myself.

Tips for learners:

• If it doesn't work when you do your POST on postman, just raise the timeout timer in the Postman parameters to 2000 MS for example.

Good luck and looking forward for next webinars

This is Shaina, your presenter from the VDP 2-way SSL Demo.

Thank you so much for joining our webinar yesterday! I hope you all got something out of it. 

To reiterate some concepts from yesterday --

• Two-way SSL/Mutual Authentication means you have to validate and authenticate both the client and the server while One-way SSL only needs to verify the server's identity. To verify either party's identity, you provide your respective public certificates and that exchange is known as SSL handshake.
  • Example 2-way SSL: Client (you) trying to access Visa Direct APIs (server: sandbox.api.visa.com) to create a payment app.
  • Example of One-way SSL: Client (you) trying to access the inter
  • When generating a CSR (Client Signing Request), you are creating both the private key AND the CSR. The CSR is used to generate a valid public client certificate, which you will use in 2-way SSL to authenticate the client (yourself).

One quick tip --> to generate a CSR quickly to begin developing: You can select the Auto-generate CSR option instead of manually creating your own CSR. There is an Auto-generation option on project creation and it will create the CSR and private key for you. Don't forget to download and save the private key if you choose this option!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us on through Contact Us or by email.
Stay healthy and safe!